Generally speaking, whilst you can of course find kids clothes in supermarkets, kids clothing seems to be a bit more upmarket. The following two sites also sell adult fashion, shoes and homeware (a bit like Next in the UK).
- La Redoute is possibly the most well-known of French brands; they have a UK site and a US site.
- Les Trois Suisses: these guys apparently aren’t bothered about selling outside France and Switzerland, as is their right of course.
The following four brands are quintessential France:
- Petit-Bateau: these guys have a classic French style, and are home to the iconic yellow waxed raincoat and the Breton navy and white stripes.
- Vertbaudet sells classic French clothes of excellent quality. One of the things I most like about French kids shops is that they use the full range of colours for both girls and boys. They have a US site and a UK site.
- Sergent-major is another well-known kids clothing brand, as is
- Jacadi, who currently have a kids collection called ‘Parisien chic‘
- Gaspard et Zoë is particularly quirky and original
- La Queue du Chat is organic and fair trade, and so gorgeous
- French Blossom caters for the whole family and the home, and gathers French designers in one market place with very original results.
- Catimini also has a wide range of children’s clothing.
French newborn vests stand apart in that they tend to close at the front kimono-style with pressure buttons, unlike older-baby versions, which just have buttons between the legs.
Orchestra is another member-only shop. I was gifted a dress from that shop and it was of exceptional quality and definitely different from my girls’ regular clothes.
For more kids clothing websites, you can visit this place.