We like to be a bit different a la casa del Frog when it comes to Christmas music. We listen to all the popular songs but we like to add other more obscure tracks to our playlist. Personally I like it that not all Christmas songs are full of cheer but that some are a bit more dark. Here are my favourites:
1. For the Gloomy Christmas lovers – Low ‘Long way around the sea’
2. My personal favourite – Joni Mitchell ‘River’
3. Another perfect Low tune ‘If you were born today’ – who knew Mormons could be such bringers of cheer?
4. Sarah MacLachlan ‘Wintersong’
5. Michael Bublé ‘All I want for Christmas’ – I love what he’s done with the Mariah Carey classic
6. Johnny Mathis ‘When a child is born’ – So bad it is good, this one is a bit of a joke with my extended family, featuring the cheesiest spoken bit in the middle with the immortal lines: ‘And all this happens because the world is waiting; waiting for one child. Black, white, yellow, no one knows.’ Indeed.
7. And finally, because Christmas hasn’t truly started until you’ve heard this one: The Pogues ‘Fairytale of New York’
Merry Christmas everyone!
2 thoughts on “Musical Christmas Cheer (or not)”
Hi there Pauline!
What an interesting blog! You certainly do cover everything there is to cover don’t you? Me and the other half (she’s Spanish, so another ex-pat!) don’t live far from you and we certainly would like some new friends. We’re hopefully getting married this year (or next if not…) and also are looking for a house of our own (well done on getting yours!) but that isn’t easy as you know!
Anyway, I hope we can be in touch soon!
Take care and bonne continuation ! (j’aurais dû écrire ce message en français parce que je travaille avec cette langue tous les jours mais bref ! J’espère ne pas avoir fait des erreurs !)
Hello, and thanks for the kind comment!
There’s nothing quite like planning to move and get married in close succession to give you a heart attack. Exciting though! I have some local British/Spanish friends, they’re always fleeing the country in search of this elusive thing called the sun… :-p