Would you believe it but I have been nominated for the Tell Me About Yourself Award by the inspired author of pint-sized rants. It’s all very exciting, because she has such flawless taste, she even gets hate mail from Daily Mail journalists. So this is a momentous occasion for this frog blogger, as you will see below, I don’t usually win much.
Of course, I do need to earn the right to display this cool badge, and so I have to tell you seven secrets about myself, and pass it on to 15 other bloggers. 15? You have got to be kidding me. The pressure is on.
1. I have never won anything in any competition I have ever participated in (I told you, this award business is a Big Deal!). I occasionally enter online competitions, especially if there is food or gadgets involved, but all I get for my efforts is regular spam emails about their wondrous products. It is all very disheartening. My ultimate win has got to be the Gadget Show Competition, as it would solve all my Christmas shopping conundrums for the next 10 years.
2. I kill plants. Whatever I do, I cannot keep a plant alive. I have a blind spot when it comes to green things, they don’t register in my line of vision at all. I once had a cactus that died. I left it to its own devices, which is what you’re supposed to do with cacti. Every so often, I’d give it a few drops of water, as you do, to stop it shrivelling. What can I say, it rotted.
3. I am also not very good at car maintenance. I become extremely self-conscious if I have to stand outside my car with oil and water, poking the wheels or whatever. It doesn’t feel right, although I cannot explain why I should feel this way, as I am by no means a hopeless woman. I can build wardrobes and set up TVs. I know how to work out the remote control. I am a self-taught WordPress user for goodness sake! But I will do anything, anything, to avoid this awkward feeling that I should not be going anywhere near the working parts of an engine. So I do nothing, I just leave it be. What happens eventually if you continue in that vein is that the poor neglected car literally blows a gasket.
4. I hated maths at school; I wasn’t bad at it, I just couldn’t see the point beyond the basics needed for everyday life. I count with my fingers. I also used to have a t-shirt that said ‘I Hate Maths’. Then I married a maths teacher, who thinks there is nothing funnier than to ask me how much Panettone I want to eat for breakfast by handing me a protractor so I can tell him how big an angle I want.
5. When I was a teenager, I went to a summer camp in deepest darkest France. Someone told me the lights we could see flashing in the countryside were made by an alien ship, and for a few minutes, I actually believed him. Until I remembered that it was most likely laser lights from a nearby club.
6. I love potatoes so much I could eat them every day
. I love them chipped, fried, dauphinoises, roasted, boiled, in Spanish omelette, rosti, jacket, mashed (especially with cheese and fried onions), ad infinitum. Hubby told me he can never look forward to them and that they’re a bit boring. What is WRONG with the man?
7. I used to bite my nails, and had to put nasty-tasting nail polish on to stop myself. I got so used to the taste I stopped noticing it (I have since stopped).
Phew, that wasn’t so bad! Apart from the bit when the computer crashed and I had to re-write everything, but let’s not linger on that detail
Die Firefox, die!
And the lovely bloggers I nominate for this award because they are brilliant and you should check them out are (and yes, there aren’t 15 of them, but what can I say, I hate maths):